Tea for Anxiety Relief – A Natural Treatment for Anxiety
I’m a huge lover, supporter, and shouter outer of green tea. It is so much more in its completeness than just a beverage, just a liquid, just a fad. Did you know that it could be your natural treatment for anxiety, as it has been for me?
Green tea can do so much for our health than many people imagine. And it’s not just “maybe” or “perhaps” or ” thought to.” No no no – research backs these claims, these are evidence-based truths.
This wonderful drink is the healthiest thing you can drink on our planet. And now you’ll know why it can also be such an excellent natural treatment for anxiety. It’s the perfect tea for anxiety relief!
A Personal Beginning
I’ve loved and drank all different kinds of tea from all different parts of the world for a very long time. It started as just a fun girl’s day getaway with my mom when I was much younger.
We would always look forward to our outings which always included a cup (or cups) of tea at local tea rooms or just about anywhere we happened to be.
Then it morphed into a genuine love for the drink, for the joy of sharing this precious time together, and for the love felt and always present. Later, when I had my own three lovely daughters, the tradition continued and continues (minus their beautiful grandmother-my mom).
Natural Treatment for Anxiety = Happiness
In my early days of loving tea, I had not myself yet discovered green tea. I’d drink mostly black, Earl Grey being my favorite. I’m not entirely sure at what moment or when it happened, but it did, and for several years now my number one tea is green!
And who knew that for me, it would also serve as my very own natural anxiety medication and my natural treatment for anxiety.
At one very low and sad point in my life, the kind we all experience at one time or another, I was prescribed Paxil to deal with my anxiety and depression.
I will always be very grateful to my doctor and the medication because it helped me navigate and survive that dark period. Luckily, I was able to get off of it after a while (but not before gaining lots of extra pounds, lol).
But at the point where I am in my life right now, I choose to stay away from traditional meds as long as I am responsibly able to. My natural anxiety medication is my green tea! Green tea, meditation, and lots and lots of gratitude and love.
Natural Anxiety Medication? Green Tea? Really?
Yes, REALLY! Its benefits for depression and anxiety have been available longer than we realize. Chinese culture has been drinking green tea for centuries and has long known the value of it for dealing with depression. And not just depression anymore, anxiety is another issue it now has been proven to tackle.
Not saying that I’ll never retake traditional western medication, but green tea has been a blessing and comfort. Apart from it being delicious too! Hot, cold, or however you prefer yours.
Reasons to LOVE Green Tea for Anxiety Relief and Why it Works
- Green Tea contains the amino acid, L-Theanine (amino acids are the building blocks for protein), a nutrient that tranquilizes you, calms you, and at the same time increases your alertness.
- First, you need to know (or remember) that our brains contain about eighty billion neurons (nerve cells) that communicate with each other using neurotransmitters which are made up of different chemicals.
- Our minds have a super important neurotransmitter called glutamate. Glutamate is probably the brain’s most crucial excitatory neurotransmitter causing us to feel excited and stimulated. Sometimes overly excited and stimulated resulting in way too much anxiety.
- L-theanine is very similar to glutamate (brain-signaling chemical) but has the reverse effect in our brain.
- As the neurotransmitter glutamate is busy doing its excitatory thing in the brain via its chemical language, L-theanine goes and binds itself to the same brain cell receptors (neuroreceptors) that glutamate is communicating with and shields them from its effects.
- Apart from blocking the excitatory stimuli at the glutamate receptors in the brain, L-theanine also stimulates the production of the inhibitory, relaxing neurotransmitter GABA, which calms and relaxes as anxiety is relieved. And it does all of this without making you drowsy or interfering with your reflexes.
- One more thing to note about the L-Theanine contained in green tea; it assists in the production of dopamine and serotonin. These are two critical feel-good chemicals that combat feelings of depression which many times are caused by a biochemical or hormonal imbalance, nutritional deficiency, and even unresolved emotional issues.
The Color of Peace & Tranquility
It’s so fitting for this blessed beverage which many of us look upon as a natural treatment for anxiety. A natural anxiety medication in a non-traditional medicinal way.
What’s not to love?
Did you know that Green Tea can also benefit our pets? You can read a bit more about that by clicking the link below: